Oregon Food Bank – Community Engagement Coordinator – Portland
Oregon Food Bank is hiring a Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Open 9/5-9/21 (interviews scheduled on a rolling basis)
- Dept: Advocacy
- Location: Portland , OR, USA
- DOE. Minimum pay grade starts at $38,334 per year.
- Full Time
Medical (+vision), dental, employer-paid life & disability, 401(k) w/employer contribution, great work environment, mission-oriented!
Who we are:
Oregon Food Bank provides food, education and hope to our neighbors in need.
- We are collaborative. At the center of a network of over 950 partners, OFB’s work is done in collaboration with organizations throughout Oregon and in Clark County, WA.
- We focus on freshness. OFB’s Produce Initiative and Fresh Alliance Programs bring fresh food to our neighbors in need.
- We champion self-reliance. OFB’s education courses teach skills that make families more resilient and impact life-long changes to eating habits.
- We advocate for change. OFB advocates for public policies and programs that address the root causes of hunger.
Who we are looking for:
Oregon Food Bank is seeking a collaborative leader who will engage the community in our public policy advocacy work. As the Community Engagement Coordinator you will work closely with our federal, state and local advocates to develop community engagement goals and then implement grassroots and grasstops organizing strategies to achieve those goals. You will inspire and train community members to support our efforts to eliminate hunger and its roots causes through public policy change. This is a full-time position in the advocacy team at our Portland location.
Who you are:
You care deeply about people experiencing hunger and believe that no one should be hungry. You have an empathetic nature and are able to understand the situations, needs and motivations of the individuals, groups and organizations we work with. You have strong writing, group facilitation, public speaking, and rapport-building skills and you love working with people from all walks of life. You are known for your enthusiasm as well as your ability to address setbacks and troubleshoot issues. You are self-motivated and thrive in an environment where priorities can shift quickly due to a changing political landscape. You enjoy working collaboratively on a team and are not afraid to propose, test, and implement new ideas and strategies. You demonstrate diplomacy and strategy and can work in a nonpartisan manner.
- Recruit individuals and organizations to advocate for issues on Oregon Food Bank’s public policy agenda; inspire them to increase their support of our advocacy efforts.
- Coordinate our grassroots events, including our lobby day and facility tours for elected officials.
- Develop and lead presentations and trainings; represent Oregon Food Bank at community events.
- Keep records of advocacy and organizing activities and produce accurate reports.
- Maintain and utilize our web-based contact management tools, including Salsa Labs and Highrise.
Skills and Experience of the Ideal Candidate:
- Minimum of two years demonstrated success doing community organizing, preferably in a public policy environment.
- Experience recruiting, training, and managing volunteers.
- Strong presentation, training, public speaking, and leadership skills.
- Experience empowering community members to share their stories publically, especially with legislators and the media.
- Strong writing skills; able to tailor messages about public policy issues to different audiences, from novices to experts.
- High level of proficiency with computers, including Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook; able quickly learn to use Salsa Labs and Highrise.
- Willing to use personal vehicle for OFB business and do occasional evening/weekend work.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in politics in Oregon is preferred.
We will consider applicants who cannot start work with us until after Election Day.
About Oregon Food Bank:
Our Mission: To eliminate hunger and its root cause…because no one should be hungry.
Oregon Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our organization.
Advocacy & Community Engagement Manager
Oregon Food Bank
P.O. Box 55370
Portland, OR 97238