Job: Education and Family Outreach Coordinator, Eugene
Position: Education and Family Outreach Coordinator
Hours per week: 30 (.75 FTE)
Compensation: $24,000-$26,250 annual salary depending on experience
Reports to: Farm to School Director
Duration: July 1-December 31, 2015 with likelihood of continuation beyond
Benefits: Health insurance stipend, holidays, vacation leave, and sick leave
The Willamette Farm and Food Coalition (WFFC) is a community nonprofit connecting farmers and consumers in Lane County, Oregon. Our projects and services facilitate greater understanding of the social, economic, and environmental impacts of our food choices. WFFC promotes the purchase of locally grown foods to keep valuable agricultural land in production, to ensure the economic viability of local farms, to benefit public and environmental health, and to strengthen the local economy.
WFFC’s Farm to School Program is a model in Oregon and nationally. The program educates students about where their food comes from and how it is grown, provides families with resources to access locally grown foods, and supports school districts in their efforts to incorporate local foods into school meals. We work in schools with a high percentage of students and families in poverty. Visit our website at: http://www.lanefood.org/farmtoschool.php
WFFC seeks an enthusiastic and capable person to coordinate and implement Farm to School education and family outreach activities for Fall 2015 and possibly beyond. Activities with students include: classroom lessons, farm field trips, school garden sessions, tasting tables and cooking on the farm or in the classroom. Activities with families include outreach events at schools, field trips to local farmers markets and farm stands, and distribution of resources to access local foods. The ideal candidate will have excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, experience with working with children in an educational setting, and knowledge of the local food system. Spanish language skills are desired but not required. Hours will vary seasonally and will include some evenings and weekends.
Willamette Farm and Food Coalition
Position Announcement, May 2015
150 Shelton McMurphey Blvd., Suite 205, Eugene, OR 97401
(541) 344-4329 email@example.com
- Plan for all educational and family outreach activities
- Lead educational and family outreach activities as needed
- Recruit and supervise volunteers, interns, AmeriCorps service members and Education Assistant
- Collaborate with community partners to implement the program
- Assist with implementation of focus groups for families engaged in the program
- Assist with other projects as needed
- Required skills and qualifications:
- Experience working with K-12 students in an educational setting
- Ability to be positive and engaging in a classroom and outdoor learning environment
- Experience with gardening or farming, ideally in an educational setting
- Confidence in supporting and supervising volunteers
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be responsible, dependable and display a high level of integrity
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Spanish language skills are desired but not required
We are hiring for a position lasting from July 1-December 31, 2015, but expect that the position will continue beyond that time. The organization is evaluating the program and in 2016 there will likely be changes to the program including the activities, funding, staffing structure and responsibilities, and organizational partnerships, all of which will likely effect this position.
How to apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. In your cover letter please describe: 1) your experience working in a K-12 educational setting 2) your experience with farming and/or gardening and 3) and any experience supervising others. Please limit your cover letter to 2 pages. Send all materials via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please put “Application for Education Coordinator” in the subject of your email.
Deadline to submit materials is Sunday June 14th, at 11:59pm.
We expect to conduct interviews June 22nd-24th
We will request the applicant be present for at least 5 days of paid training between July 1-15th
Our desired start date (after training) is between August 5th-10th.
Employment and eligibility for benefits at WFFC shall be without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, physical or mental disability, legal source of income, or any basis prohibited by law.