Job: Communications Manager, Portland Farmers Market
Portland Farmers Market Position Announcement
Portland Farmers Market (PFM) seeks a Communications Manager to join our team! We’re looking for an individual with several years of experience in that broad mix of marketing, PR and communications usually found in a small non-profit.
We’re about to complete a new strategic plan which will provide an exciting platform from which to build and implement a marketing plan. PFM is a 501(c)(6) organization, a non- profit business association, not a charity. Our focus is on the success of our vendors and providing healthy food in vibrant community gathering spaces. We also provide professional services to Farmers Market Fund, PFM’s charitable companion. They are a growing and expanding to a state-wide program.
How to Apply:
Please do not call our office. We look forward to seeing your cover letter and resume sent to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, April 8, 2015.
See the position description below. Please note the knowledge, skills and abilities we require. We will stick closely to those requirements.
The application process will likely include a written screening tool, panel interview, group staff and private interview with Executive Director. We hope to have our new Communications Manager on the job by late May.
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: non-exempt/hourly
Benefits: health, dental, vision, 401(k), paid time off
Pay rate: $20-$23 per hour DOE
Portland Farmers Market (PFM) operates world class farmers markets. We are a 501(c)(6) not for profit organization operating seven farmers markets, one year round. Our business association offers our vendors the opportunity to thrive economically, and our shoppers the opportunity to eat healthy local food and enjoy community. PFM has a strong brand and a reputation for quality products and effective management. We will celebrate our 25th anniversary in 2016.
The Communications Manager leads PFM’s marketing and communications plans, supervises communications/design consultants, coordinates merchandise, liaisons with sponsors and is primary media contact. The position oversees external communications such as: message development, social media, advertising, print material and market signage. Primary focus is on fulfilling the mission and strategic goals of the organization with regard to promoting vendors and attracting shoppers to the markets.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing plan that meets PFM’s strategic plan goals and strategies
- Develop an annual marketing budget and monitor expenses
- Develop key messages, identify target audiences and determine best methods of communications.
- Promote markets, vendors and PFM events/programs through blog, website, social media and other methods as determined effective
- Coordinate with PFM staff to assure community relations and outreach strategies are consistent with broader marketing plans
- Select, and purchase advertising appropriate for markets and message
- Manage the design, production and delivery of merchandise, signage, print materials and advertisements. Coordinate with graphic designer and other consultants as needed
- Assemble and manage a team of communications experts, consultants, volunteers and co-workers as needed to define plans and implement over each year
- Manage communications plans and content implementation for all social media platforms:
- Website content, maintenance and updates. Work with web designers to implement major upgrades and changes
- Blog and recipe content, photos and volunteer contributors recruitment and management
- Maintain activity on platforms such as: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and others as appropriate
- Assure timely updates – daily to weekly – to keep the public informed and attract shoppers
- Manage work of consulting public relations firm, include them as part of the marketing and communications team for annual planning an implementation
- Coordinate and respond to public and media inquiries. Serve as spokesperson as needed when Executive Director is not available
- Develop and update public presentation materials for Executive Director or other’s use
- Edit internal communications materials as needed.
- Maintain photography archives, monitor and acquire photo needs
Sponsor Relations, Events and Other
- In conjunction with Executive Director, develop and implement annual sponsor cultivation plan
- Manage and serve as liaison for sponsors including contract fulfillment, event coordination and annual reports
- Lead or participate in coordination of occasional special events or activities such as: cookbook production, anniversary events, branding development, new market openings
- Provide training, guidance and oversight to PFM staff who may assist with marketing and communications activities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
This position requires a demonstrable understanding of budgeting, planning, advertising, promotions, community relations, public relations, events and sponsorships. Must be able to develop and manage a team of professionals to accomplish marketing and communication plans.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related field or additional years of experience
- At least three years of experience with similar range of responsibilities
- Outstanding written and verbal communications, strong editing and message development
- Strong networking and relationship-building
- Knowledge of and experience promoting via multiple social media platforms
- Ability to work well in partnerships involving a variety of consultants and organizations including small and large businesses
- Strong personal initiative, problem solving, creativity, and ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Comfort with and ability to manage a variety of projects at the same time
- Experience developing web content and use of media such as: blogs and podcasts
- Sound judgment, decision making and problem solving skills
- Event management experience
Preference given to candidates with deep knowledge of and passion for the Portland food scene, connections with local food producers and experience working as a communications professional in Portland’s food and farm community.
Trudy Toliver,Executive Director
Portland Farmers Market and Farmers Market Fund
240 N. Broadway, Suite 129 | Portland, Oregon 97227 | 503.241.0032 | portlandfarmersmarket.org