Executive Director Emma’s Garden’s – NE Portland
Organization Need and Overview
Emma’s Garden’s is searching for a talented Executive Director to join our dedicated community members, volunteer staff, and board. We are looking for candidates who have experience in the non-profit world or social justice organizing, are strong communicators and leaders, and willing to lead the charge on cultivating a local, equitable food system.
Emma’s Garden is a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation based in Northeast Portland. We are dedicated to developing local economies and equitable food systems in underserved neighborhoods. Emma’s Garden was formed in 2009 and currently helps run a first year market garden in Cully Neighborhood.
The Executive Director has the primary responsibility for ensuring the vision and objectives of Emma’s Garden are achieved. This includes overseeing fundraising, organizational management, and community networking. The Executive Director is also responsible for the maintaining of the organizations non-profit status. The Executive Director will work with program staff, as well as with community members and the Board of Directors.
Essential position functions include:
Senior Management Team Member
- Work closely with staff in making collaborative management decisions.
- Ensure the organizational vision and overall programming is executed.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and determine resources to undertake initiatives.
- Plan and setup workshop for staff that allows for increased skills and knowledge for the implementation of the organization’s goals.
- Draft organizational policies in consultation with the Board of Directors.
- Facilitate executive staff meetings.
Organizational Networking and Outreach
- Serve as the Organization’s spokesman.
- Liaison between the Executive Staff and the Board of Director.
- Liaison with foundations and donors.
- Create coalitions between residents, organizations, and leaders within the local community to facilitate the execution of joint vision.
- Identify and contact local organizations and leaders within the community.
- Plan and coordinate workshops for local community as necessary.
- Plan and coordinate Fundraising Strategies.
- File necessary paperwork to maintain 501c3 status.
- Oversee benefits and expenses.
- Develop and submit grant proposals.
- Draft status reports for Funders and Board of Directors.
- Develop work plan and budgets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes
Emma’s Garden’s is a values based, mission oriented enterprise requires executive staff to exercise sound judgment; to be organized, flexible, and detail-oriented; and to build rapport with members and partners. Emma’s Garden staff possess excellent communication skills, organizational skills, and analytical and problem-solving abilities. In addition, the Executive Director must possess:
- Intimate knowledge of participatory decision making practice.
- Familiarity with economic concepts.
- Dedication to social justice.
- Grant writing skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to supervise, train, and mentor staff and volunteers.
Partnerships and Reporting Requirements
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume, a few sentences about your experience with non-profits and why you’re passionate about food justice and community outreach to: email@example.com